Sunday 1 July 2012

Marbled Whites and Silver-washed Fritillaries

Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Yesterday morning I dropped Sue off at the Amex Stadium, Brighton for her convention. As it was near Hollingbury Park I called there to see if the White Hairstreaks were showing. No luck, but there were many ladybird larvae and pupae on the nettles.
I then headed for Southwater Woods as Purple Emperor season is fast approaching. I was surprised to see only a couple of butterfly hunters. The flower meadow was full of Meadow Browns, and more importantly, Marbled Whites which obliged by nectaring a lot. The usual cross-paths with bramble flowers gave me plenty of Silver-washed Fritillaries, though all except one were males. I also saw a Comma, Large skippers, 2 White Admirals in the trees and a Red Admiral and a possible sighting of a Purple Hairstreak in the canopy of the master oak.
Hollingbury Park:
Burdock, Arctium pubens
Burdock, Arctium pubens
Ladybird larva
Ladybird larvae and pupa on nettles
Ladybird pupa
Prickly Sowthistle, Sonchus asper
Southwater Woods:
Comma, Polygonia c-album
Large Skipper, Ochlodes faunus
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Red Admiral, Vanessa atalanta
male Silver-washed Fritillary, Argynnis
male Silver-washed Fritillary, Argynnis
male Silver-washed Fritillary, Argynnis
male Silver-washed Fritillary, Argynnis
 The butterfly often flew off before or as I pressed the shutter button.





2 comments:

  1. Great photos Colin,I would like to visit Southwater Woods.Any tips on locations and species?regards

    Joaquim Pinho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joaquim. Today I found pristine Ringlets and Red Admirals there. I'll send site info by email

    ReplyDelete

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.