Sunday 9 March 2014

Small Tortoiseshell and Buzzards

Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae
Following Neil’s report about Small Tortoiseshells at Ferring Rife I visited it on Friday. There was no sign of the butterflies initially but after the sun had raised the temperature I spotted a pair of Small Tortoiseshells flying from the east bank to my side. After they landed the male fluttered in front of the female in the grass, but she was not interested and eventually flew off. I raised a Jack Snipe from the marshy area and spotted about 50 batches of frogspawn, mostly at the southern end of two ponds. There were 3 herons in a field.

On Saturday I joined many visitors at Arundel WWT. I watched a Buzzard being mobbed by two Crows. Later six Buzzards soared above the hill. I saw my first male Brimstone of the year flying along the path by the Lapwing and Ramsar hides.
Daffodil, Narcissus pseudonarcissus
by Ferring Rife
Frogspawn, Rana temporaria
Frogspawn, Rana temporaria
Frogspawn, Rana temporaria
Grey Heron, Ardea cinerea
Grey Herons, Ardea cinerea
Small Tortoiseshells courting, Aglais urticae
Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae
Arundel WWT:
Buzzard, Buteo buteo mobbed by Carrion Crows, Corvus corone


Great Tit, Parus major
Lapwing (Peewit), Vanellus vanellus
Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos
wonderful colours on Mallard's head which change with the angle of the light

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.