Tuesday 7 May 2013

Skippers and micro moths at Mill Hill

Grizzled Skipper, Pyrgus malvae
Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far so I headed to Mill Hill to do my butterfly transect in optimistic mood. It started well with a Small Tortoiseshell crossing my path as soon as I started my walk. I recorded several firsts for the year: 1 Green Hairstreak, 4 Grizzled Skippers and 1 Dingy Skipper, plus 3 male Brimstones, several whites, including a Large White, a male Orange-tip, a Red Admiral, 6 Peacocks and 2 Speckled Woods. Several birds were singing vociferously: a Chaffinch, a Whitethroat and a Linnet. I spotted a few micro moths: Pyrausta nigrata, a Small Purple-barred and  Pancalia leuwenhoekella
Forget-me-not, Myostis spp
Chaffinch, Fringilla coelebs
Green Hairstreak, Callophrys rubi
 This little fella is well past his sell-by date

Grizzled Skipper, Pyrgus malvae
Pancalia schwarzella
Linnet, Carduelis cannabina
Peacock, Inachis io
Pyrausta nigrata
Small Purple-barred, Phytometra viridaria
Speckled Wood, Pararge aegeria
Whitethroat, Sylvia communis
Dingy Skipper, Erynnis tages

1 comment:

  1. Great pics. Better than I can do of the Grizzled Skipper.

    Moth: http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=899

    ReplyDelete

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.