Tuesday 7 May 2013

Orchids and Skippers at Heyshott

Dingy Skipper, Erynnis tages
Today was day one of our new bathroom installation and by the time the destallers had finished demolishing the old bathroom my dust-filled nostrils were ready for some fresh air. Having read that Steve had seen Duke of Burgundies at Heyshott yesterday, my destination was clear. Mark was heading off the hill as I arrived and reported he had sighted Dukes and both  Skippers so I was optimistic as I trudged up the steep incline. Dukes did not cross my path, but I had good photo opportunities with two Dingy Skippers and a Grizzled Skipper. There were plenty of male Brimstones flying and a lot of Cowslips and Early Purple Orchids on the downland. The banks on the walk up the hill were covered in Bluebells with Cuckoo Flowers. A male Orange-tip passed me as I returned to the car.
Bluebells, Hyacinthoides non-scripta
Brimstone, Gonepteryx rhamni on Cowslip
Cowslip, Primula veris
Cuckoo Flower, Cardamine pratensis
Foodplant of the Orange-tip

Cuckoo Flower and Bluebells
Dingy Skipper, Erynnis tages
Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

Grizzled Skipper, Pyrgus malvae
Heyshott Escarpment:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.