Sunday 15 November 2009

Feversham Cinque Port Token

The forecast was favourable this morning so I left at 7:30 for Ulcombe near Leeds Castle for a Weekend Wanderers dig. It was a pleasant day, the soil was easy to dig after the rains and Ifound loads of junk. Interesting finds were a 1951 halfpenny, a couple of buckles and a Dinky toy car (Stingray). I was oln the way back to the car at the end of the day when I found a token. I couldn’t read it until I got home, but then I found the words CINQUE PORT HALFPENNY 1794 on one side and PAYABLE AT FEVERSHAM on the other. A fine picture of the token on the Faversham site explained the images I could see under the magnifying glass, so I am well pleased with this find. According to another site only 20,600 were minted. The token was found 12 miles from Faversham.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.