Sunday 25 April 2010

Roman, Grizzlies and Dingies

A club dig near Worthing this morning gave me a Roman coin, 2.14 gm, 19mm diameter. The reverse has an altar identical to a Constantine II (337-340 C.E.), page 77, Coins of England (Spinks 2009), 737A. Description: BEATA TRANQVILLITAS. Altar, inscribed VOT/IS/XX., surmounted by globe and three stars, PLON in ex. R.I.C. 236
However, some Constantine I coins have the same altar. 
On my coin, the altar with globe above is clear, also the word PLON below the altar. This is the mint mark for Londinium (287 - 325 C.E. and 383 - 388 C.E.). In  view of the dates for the London mint, I think my coin may be Constantine I (306-312).

 Grizzled Skipper

Dingy Skipper 

This afternoon I had Mill Hill to myself from 1:30 to 3pm, amazing on a sunny Sunday afternoon. There was an abundance of Grizzled and Dingy Skippers and I witnessed fights among two and three individuals, and across species. I estimate 10 of each species plus Peacocks 4 and an Orange tip
 While looking for Green Hairstreaks in the bushes I found this little snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.