Thursday 12 March 2015

Drinker larva and Lesser Bloody-nosed Beetle

Drinker larva, Euthrix potatoria

On Monday we walked along Ferring Rife in dull weather. The next day we visited Arundel WWT and I saw a pair of Nuthatches feeding together under the conifer by the woodland feeders.
My Nikon D90 has gone to the Sigma hospital with my Sigma 180 macro lens as they want to test the two due to a recurring overexposure problem. I am impressed by Sigma's service attitude - they want to get the problem resolved. While the camera is away I have reverted to my old D40.
 On Wednesday the sun shone during the Heyshott escarpment work party. Two fires were lit by firemeister Andy and a snow storm of ash landed downwind. A pair of buzzards circled overhead and primroses were flowering, reminding us that the Duke of Burgundy could be with us next month. 
 Afterwards I visited nearby Iping Common and found a small Drinker larva hiding under a log and a Lesser Bloody-nosed Beetle, a Ground Beetle and a Flat-backed Millipede under other logs. A large moth rose up nearby but disappeared into the tree tops before I could identify it. Goldcrests and Long-tailed Tits twittered in the birch and gorse.
Ferring Rife
Arundel WWT and The Hanger
Reed Bed hide
Great Tit, Parus major
The D40 synched at 1/80 sec with my SB400 flash and produced this interesting shot. Ambient light has created a ghost beak.

Nuthatch, Sitta europaea
Nuthatch
Heyshott:



using the panorama mode of my new Moto G

Migrant Hoverfly, Meliscaeva auricollis on
Lesser Celandine, Ranunculus ficaria 
Migrant Hoverfly
Migrant Hoverfly
Primroses, Primula vulgaris
Iping Common:
Drinker larva, Euthrix potatoria
The log has been rolled over and the larva is in the position I found it. It was therefore upside down just above the ground. It never moved the whole time I was photographing it so I assume it was hibernating. I see large late instar larvae on the heather in June so this smaller one is an early instar.

Drinker larva
Flat-backed Millipede, Polydesmus species
Goldcrest, Regulus regulus
goodbye Goldcrest
Ground Beetle, Abax parallelepipedus
headless Song Thrush, Turdus philomelos
I assume it was a Song Thrush based on the pattern on the breast feathers

Lesser Bloody-nosed Beetle, Timarcha goettingensis
Lesser Bloody-nosed Beetle
Lichen fruiting bodies - id needed please
Lumpy Bracket, Trametes gibbosa
mollusc eggs - snail or slug?
Robin, Erithacus rubecula
female Stonechat, Saxicola torquata
male Stonechat
Turkeytail, Trametes versicolor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.