Thursday 22 August 2019

Tidemills and a Jersey Tiger

Jersey Tiger, Euplagia quadripunctaria
I visited the Tide Mills at Newhaven on 20th where I met David Cook who kindly showed me a Long-tailed Blue egg and a Hummingbird Hawkmoth. I saw a kingfisher fly along the creek when I arrived. I then went to the Castle Hill Nature Reserve by the fort and saw my first Jersey Tiger moth nectaring on buddleia with Painted Ladies. Also a mating pair of Common Blues. Other butterflies seen: Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, Small Heath, Small White, Small Tortoiseshell, Meadow Brown. At Beeding Cement works I saw a Conch (Cochylimorpha species), probably C. straminea (awaiting microspopic exam to determine).
Conch, Cochylimorpha species

Conch, Cochylimorpha species, 9mm long


Long-tailed Blue egg on Everlasting pea bud

Long-tailed Blue egg, Lampides boeticus

Pea-leaf Weevil, Sitona lineatus
tiny unidentified spider

Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae

Castle Hill Nature Reserve:
Common Blue, Polyommatus icarus

Common Blues mating, Polyommatus icarus

Dock Bug nymph, Coreus marginatus

Gorse Shieldbug, Piezodorus lituratus

Hornet Mimic Hoverfly, Volucella zonaria

Jersey Tiger underside, Euplagia quadripunctaria

Jersey Tiger

Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui

Painted Lady

Speckled Wood, Pararge aegeria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.