Wednesday 9 April 2014

Courting peacocks and an adder

Coal Tit, Periparus ater
Yesterday I visited Arundel WWT and Angmering Woods where the bluebells are starting to open en masse. Their scent was wonderful.
Today I did my second Mill Hill transect and recorded 3 Brimstones, 5 Peacock and 2 Small Tortoiseshells. I saw two pairs of courting Peacocks. The males were smaller than the females. She had her wings closed and the male was behind her, opening and closing his wings while moving up to her and making contact. I videoed some of this but without a tripod it is a bit shaky. I also saw an adder.
Arundel WWT:
Coal Tit, Periparus ater
Greylag Goose, Anser anser
Lapwing (Peewit), Vanellus vanellus
Mallard duckling, Anas platyrhynchos
Nuthatch, Sitta europaea
Bluebell woods, Hyacinthoides non-scripta

Mill Hill:
Adder, Vipera berus
Blackbird egg, Turdus merula
Peacock courtship, Inachis io






second pair

Red-shanked Carder Bee, Bombus ruderarius

Spanish Bluebell, Hyacinthoides hispanica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.