Tuesday 16 April 2013

Tortoiseshells and Peacocks at Mill Hill


Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae
I did my third butterfly transect of the year at Mill Hill yesterday. 90% cloud cover at the start cleared to 10% by the time I left three hours later. I photographed two Small Tortoiseshells on the middle path. On the bottom of the hill there were at least 12 Peacocks. At one time I had 3 in view - one near the ground and two more fighting as they rapidly ascended to the heavens. A Kestrel hovered very close to me on the middle path, and I spotted the same black adder 3 times as I walked back and forth along the bottom of the hill. The final time he was coiled beneath brush.
Adder, Vipera berus
Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus
Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus




Peacock, Inachis io
Peacock, Inachis io
Peacock, Inachis io


Peacock, Inachis io
Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.