Monday 14 March 2022

A comma in Southwater Woods

Comma, Polygonia c-album
On Saturday I had a sunny walk in Southwater Woods and was pleased to spot a Comma butterfly. A Buzzard flew up from the woodland floor and while I tried to spot where it had landed in the canopy I saw a Treecreeper hopping up a tree trunk, flying down and repeating the process. Plenty of daffodils and primroses were in flower plus I saw a lone Wood Violet. Three Fallow Deer trotted across a field and a pair of Mallards tried to pretend they were not there in one of the ponds. I found a decaying branch with some orange Witch's Butter fungus.


Fallow Deer, Dama dama

Primroses, Primula vulgaris

catkins

Comma, Polygonia c-album 

Comma take-off

Common Witch's Butter, Tremella aurantia

Daffodil, Narcissus pseudonarcissus


Mallards, Anas platyrhynchos

Wood Violet, Viola riviniana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.