Wednesday 29 October 2014

Fallow Deer rut

Petworth Park and Fallow Deer
Yesterday I met Neil at Petworth Park on a glorious Autumn day. Initially we thought the Fallow Deer rut was over, and most of it probably was. There was a lot of ‘squeaking’ between the does and fawns. As the day wore on we witnessed some wonderful bellowing and one really good antler-bashing preceded by the parallel walk. The defeated buck walked up the hill directly towards me. I did not stand in his way and retreated to the side when he filled the frame of my 420mm lens. Neil spotted a Little Owl flying into a tree and I watched it fly off, a first for me. I also saw Red Admirals and a Peacock butterfly.
video of Fallow Deer rut: Fallow deer rut video

Afterwards I visited the Sand Martin hide at Arundel WWT and saw the Kingfishers hurtling past several times. The resident Grey Wagtail landed on the tall post. Canada Geese arrived with loud honkings.
Fallow Deer, Dama dama
the parallel walk



a third buck joined this rumble









sadly this buck had a broken left foreleg.






Petworth Park







Arundel WWT:
Canada Geese, Branta canadensis





Grey Wagtail, Motacilla cinerea
Shovelers, Anas clypeata

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.