Sunday 1 August 2010

Woody Woodpecker at Steyning

As the weather was fine this afternoon I headed off to Steyning Rifle Range (it used to be a RR, now recreational downland) in the vague hope of seeing a Brown Hairstreak. I met Tom Ottley coming off the track and he reported no sign of BH, but he counted over 20 species of butterflies, including a Holly Blue just down the track. I followed this for 30 yards, but it stopped only once and flew off before I could get a photo.
My highlight for the afternoon was a Green Woodpecker which landed on a tree as I turned a corner on the slope above it.
Common Blues
The other species I saw were Gatekeeper, Speckled Wood, Small Blue, Small Heath, Ringlet, Large White, and many Common Blues and Meadow Browns.
Gatekeeper
Speckled Wood with part of hind wing missing
busy bee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.