Tuesday 3 August 2010

Hollies, woodpecker and adder


Holly Blue, Celastrina argiolus

I decided to give Steyning Rifle Range another go, this time in the morning with a blue sky. I was rewarded with several spectacles.
I found my first Wall of the year (above), and had some excellent photo opportunities with Holly Blues. Some were on the ivy by the path near the road, others were on west side of the south facing slope on Wild Marjoram flowers.
female Holly Blue (above and below)
On my way down the slope I spotted an Adder:
It was about 18 inches long and we watched each other for some time before it slithered off into the grass at the base of a blackthorn bush. Click here for a short video.
A Green Woodpecker then flew across the slope on its way to the area where I saw one on Sunday.
female Brimstone
Comma
female Common Blue
a male makes a dead set for the female
Large White
Small Skipper
Small Copper
 The Hornet Mimic Hoverfly, Volucella zonaria. The larvae live in wasp nests.
Another Hoverfly, Volucella inanis. It was feeding on thistle next to the Hornet Mimic Hoverfly
 
The prunus were in fruit
Plenty of birds on the path

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.