Wednesday 27 April 2011

More fun with Pearl-bordered Fritillaries

Pearl-bordered Fritillary

Yesterday I visited Rewell Wood twice. Firstly at 9am to catch the Pearl-bordered Fritillary with open wings, then at 6pm to find them roosting.

There was a strong breeze blowing in the morning and I visited a glade which has been good the past two years. However, it was overgrown and I didn’t see any PBFs. On the way back along the track I found plenty of PBFs nectaring on Bugle which gave me excellent open wing shots. This provided better backgrounds than the open area I had been visiting previously where they landed on dead bracken which is a very messy background. Two PBFs had rather different markings to normal and are aberrants. One is a known aberrant that is shown on UK Butterflies site. I also found other interesting insects and a lizard which scuttled across the path.
I found a few insects on the leaves:
moth, possibly Adela reaumurella
Hawthorn Shield Bug Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale 
Wasp Beetle Clytus arietus
Pearl-bordered Fritillary








dark aberrant form of Pearl-bordered Fritillary



aberrant form of Pearl-bordered Fritillary (ab.transversa)
Fluttering around each other







In the evening I found five PBFs roosting on one buddleia, three on one dead flower:-













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.