Monday 5 January 2015

Heather moorland, Chaffinches and a Nuthatch

pond by the A57 to Glossop
On Saturday we ventured over the Snake Pass to visit Aunt Bea. Plenty of mist on the way over, but beautiful vistas of well managed heather moorland from a vantage point near the Pennine Way. I heard a grouse calling which convinces me to make this a target species on my next trip. I don’t think I have seen grouse since I had a working holiday as a student on a shooting estate near Tomintoul in the late 60s.
  We left Sheffield at 9am Sunday and visited Alex and Nadine and young Eleanor and Martha in Derby on the way home. The fields were covered in frost. The temperature dropped to -2C several times on the journey and we hit foggy areas further south, arriving home at 3:30pm.

  Today I spotted Russ’ report that the Bittern has returned to Arundel WWT so I paid a visit this afternoon. I spent some time at the woodland feeders with Chaffinches and a Nuthatch. I watched the Starlings form into a huge murmuration then suddenly swoop around performing spectacular aerobatics. Groups then peeled off and dived into the reeds to roost.
final garden shots
Dunnock, Prunella modularis
Great Tit, Parus major

Scooter



drinking from one of Ken's pots
view from A57 to Glossop


Arundel WWT:
Blue Tit, Cyanistes caeruleus
Chaffinch, Fringilla coelebs





a pair of mallards had 13 ducklings.
Don't they know what time of year it is?
Great Tit, Parus major
Mute Swan, Cygnus olor
Nuthatch, Sitta europaea


Starling murmuration, Sturnus vulgaris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.