Monday 6 May 2013

Sedge Warbler and a Charles II twopence

Charles II silver twopence (1671), obverse
On Saturday afternoon I visited Waltham Brooks following Mark’s report of a Great Egret sighting there. I had no idea where the bird might be so I parked in my usual place and took my binoculars over to the fence to scan the area. The Great Egret immediately flew across my field of view and disappeared north, over the river bridge. A lovely sighting, but no camera in hand! I was pleased to find a Sedge Warbler twittering away in the brambles.

On Sunday morning I joined a club dig in glorious Spring weather and was delighted to find a Charles II silver twopence dated 1671. It is an early milled coin. I also found some buttons and Georgian halfpennies.

Charles II reigned 1660-1685
weight: 1.09g, diameter: 14.2mm. 
Obverse Description: Laureate and draped bust right.
Obverse Legend: CAROLVS II DEI GRATIA (Charles II by the Grace of God)
Reverse Description: Two interlinked C’s, crowned.
Reverse Legend: MAG BR FRA ET HIB REX (King of Great Britain, France and Ireland)

In the afternoon I joined Neil’s second Rewell Wood walk with 43 expectant butterfly enthusiasts in search of the still elusive Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Instead of the PBF we saw Peacocks, Speckled Woods, Green-veined Whites, a Minotaur beetle and a juvenile slow-worm. Afterwards I introduced Gary to Angmering Woods, but it was too late and cold to see flying Orange-tips. We did see some Peacocks and a Green-veined White which kept flying high into the tree canopy and returning to the ground.
Sedge Warbler, Acrocephalus schoenobaenus
Sedge Warbler song

wonderful cloud pattern
Whitethroat, Sylvia communis
Charles II silver twopence (1671), reverse
weight: 1.09g, diameter: 14.2mm, thickness: 0.87mm

copper alloy button
weight: 1.85g, diameter: 12.9mm thickness: 1.7mm

tombac button
weight: 2.34g, diameter: 17.8mm, thickness: 11mm

Dor beetle, Geotrupes stercorarius
Slow-worm, Anguis fragilis
moth - id needed
Green-veined White, Pieris napi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.