Wednesday 22 August 2012

Brown Hairstreak at Steyning

By the time I arrived at Steyning Downland a dozen other enthusiasts were already watching the ash trees and prunus, hoping for a glimpse of our target. After a search of the reserve area I went up the hill. I found a female Brown Hairstreak at 12:20pm. It had partially open wings so that I could see the orange bands. It flew to a low perch and I managed one shot before it flew over the bushes and was gone. The group at the reserve found one at about the same time. There were several Walls nectaring on ragwort. On the way out I found the Comma caterpillar again.
Comma larva, Polygonia c-album on nettle
Comma larva, Polygonia c-album
Gatekeeper, Pyronia tithonus with red mites
Greenbottle, Lucilia caesar
Wall, Lasiommata megera
Wall, Lasiommata megera
Wall, Lasiommata megera
White-lipped snail, Cepaea hortensis
Yellow Dung fly, Scatophaga stercoraria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.