Friday 24 August 2012

a pristine Brown Hairstreak

Brown Hairstreak, Thecla betulae
At 8:10 this morning I arrived at the Steyning Downland site and reclined in my chair to await the first fluttering. At  11am I was joined by Trevor from East Sussex. Steve and Maggie then  joined us and at 12:30 I had my first sighting of a worn female Brown Hairstreak. This flew off and then I found another nearby in pristine condition. For the next 30 minutes we photographed and pursued her. Two other enthusiasts arrived just in time to take some photos before she flew to the tree tops as the predicted wet weather closed in.  A very satisfying morning.
Brown Hairstreak, Thecla betulae
Holly Blue, Celastrina argiolus
Steyning Downland Scheme

This is where I saw the pale Clouded Yellow yesterday
Common Darter, Sympetrum striolatum
Harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis
Harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis
Harlequin ladybird pupa
Hoverfly, Parhelophilus frutetorum
This is the first one I found with worn areas

Brown Hairstreak, Thecla betulae



Maggie photographing this perfect female Grown Hairstreak




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.