Monday 9 July 2012

Southwater Woods

Meadow Brown, Maniola jurtina

On Saturday I spent all day at a SusSAR search for a missing person in Wild Wood, Brighton. I saw a few Marbled Whites in the fringing flower meadow. 
On Sunday morning I took the opportunity of a dry spell to do my weekly butterfly transect at Mill Hill.  I counted 2 Marbled Whites and 5 Small Heaths. I then joined Nick and Laura for their BBQ and photographed their cat and Tiger Lily.
This morning I looked for butterflies at Southwater Wood and saw Marbled whites, Ringlets and Meadow Browns. There I met David and his wife who earlier had seen White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillaries during a brief blue sky period. One of the White Admirals was a third of the normal size.


Tiger Lily
Common Centaury, Centaurium erythraea
Elm by the flower meadow, perhaps there are White-letter Hairstreaks around
Marbled White, Melanargia galathea
Marbled White hunkered down in the grass

Meadow Brown, Maniola jurtina
Musk Mallow, Malva moschata
Pyramidal Orchid, Anacamptis pyramidalis at Mill Hill 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.