Saturday 12 May 2012

Old Lodge moths and Dukes

Duke of Burgundy, Hamearis lucina
This morning I visited Old Lodge Nature Reserve in north Sussex. This is a lovely empty heathland reserve which has a beautiful valley. Ponies graze and I saw 10 Common Heath moths which reminded me of Dingy Skippers. I was told that Oak Eggar and Emperor moths are seen there.
In the afternoon I visited the local Duke of Burgundy site where I saw four, including a female laying six eggs on one leaf. This was a result of the recent prolonged rain preventing egg laying as they normally lay one egg per leaf.

Common Heath moth, Ematurga atomaria
Common Heath moth, Ematurga atomaria






Tree pipit, Anthus trivialis
Duke site:
Harlequin Ladybird, Harmonia axyridis
7-spot ladybird, Coccinella 7-punctata
Dance fly, Empis tessellata
Dingy Skipper, Erynnis tages
Duke of Burgundy, Hamearis lucina



Duke of Burgundy, Hamearis lucina, female laying eggs
Duke of Burgundy, Hamearis lucina, eggs
Green Longhorn moth, Adela reaumurella, female
Honey bee, Apis mellifera
Wasp Beetle, Clytus arietus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.