Monday 14 May 2012

Dukes of Heyshott rule again

Duke of Burgundy, Hamearis lucina
I headed to Heyshott Escarpment to count the Duke of Burgundy emergence. There was 50% cloud cover and I spotted Dukes soon after arriving. A few other other enthusiasts were also on the hill. I counted 18 Dukes, 12 Dingy Skippers, one Holly Blue and a female Brimstone.
I then called in at Kithurst Hill and met Neil Hulme who had seen 5 Dukes, including a mating pair. There I saw one Green Hairstreak, a Duke, a Dingy Skipper and a Burnett Companion moth.

Duke of Burgundy, Hamearis lucina







Kithurst Hill:
7-spot ladybird, Coccinella 7-punctata
Bee fly, Bombylius major
Burnet Companion moth, Euclidia glyphica
Dingy Skipper, Erynnis tages
Green Hairstreak, Callophrys rubi
White-lipped snail, Cepaea hortensis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.