Thursday 18 July 2013

Purple Emperor days to remember

Purple Emperor, Apatura iris


On Tuesday I visited Tugley Wood again and had my best Purple Emperor day ever. I was at the High Point with Peter when an Emperor flew around us many times, close enough to hear its wing beats. It then landed on my bum bag which was behind me. I stood statue-like while Peter videoed and photographed it taking salts from the leather. It flew off and returned later,  and landing on my sleeve. It then took salts from the sweat of my arm - I could feel its proboscis tickling me. Then a female landed on a sallow opposite us and I managed to get shots of it laying an egg. We agreed it was a day to remember and I returned the following day and met Mark.  Neil then arrived on his Purple Emperor bike armed with a spray can to lay an evil smelling fluid on the ground as bait for His Majesty. Another day of multiple PE landings ensued and was enjoyed by the many enthusiasts who had gathered. I found a dead mole, which wasa  first for me. Later in the afternoon there were several White Admirals behaving like PEs, gliding along the path and stopping to take salts from the ground.
female Purple Emperor, laying
the resulting egg

Purple Emperor, Apatura iris



worn Purple Emperor
female Silver-washed Fritillary, Argynnis paphia
Umbellifer
Tuesday:
European Mole, Talpa europaea
European Mole, Talpa europaea
Sawfly larvae, Neurotoma saltuum
Sawfly larvae, Neurotoma saltuum
Sawfly larvae, Neurotoma saltuum
Sawfly larvae, Neurotoma saltuum
Neil on his PE bike, armed and dangerous!
Purple Emperor, Apatura iris










Purple Emperor restnig



White Admiral, Limenitis camilla

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sir - I'm putting together a little video for my web site and would like to use your images of the Purple emperor. Neil Hulme has found what he thinks is the second largest population on my land at Knepp Castle Estate and he and Matthew Oates are cumming to show people around next summer and I would love to be able to have a little promotion video for them and the PE's. yours faithfully Charlie Burrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie, I will be delighted for you to use any images you wish. And thanks again for hosting our Sussex Butterfly Conservation Spring Social at Knepp Castle Estate. The rewilding project is fascinating. I have often retold your story about the oaks and the woodmice. I did a post about the day: http://colinknight.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/rewilding-at-knepp-castle-estate.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sir, you have a nice set of photos here. I found it browsing for some unidentified larvae. Your photos here that you have named Hawthorn Moth Scythropia crataegella should rather be named Neurotoma saltuum, a sawfly species
    Kind regards, John, from The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.