Wednesday 24 July 2013

Meadow Browns, a Roe Deer and a Holly Blue

Roe Deer, Capreolus capreolus
Following Monday’s experience with the valesina form of the Silver-washed Fritillary, I returned to Southwater Woods yesterday. The weather had changed, no longer an oppressive heat but cloudy and cooler.
As I walked along the path from the master oak I was messing about with my camera controls and looked up and saw a Roe Deer trotting across the path from right to left. There was no time to get a shot before it disappeared into the woodland. When I looked at my photos at home I found a lop-sided shot of the deer facing the opposite way to where it had moved, so it must have been taken before I thought I saw it! I suspect I saw it, pointed the camera and shot without using the viewfinder, then watched it trot across the path before i could take a controlled shot.

I found a pair of Peacocks on a path and Meadow Browns mating on a tree, a Holly Blue nectaring on brambles and Small Whites laying eggs.

Afterwards I joined Mark at Bridge Road, Littlehampton but we found no White-letter Hairstreaks there or by the golf course, probably due to the wind and lack of sun.
Holly Blue, Celastrina argiolus

Holly Blue take-off
female Large Skipper, Ochlodes sylvanus

Meadow Browns mating, Maniola jurtina
Meadow Browns mating, Maniola jurtina

Peacock, Inachis io
Peacocks 
female Silver-washed Fritillary, Argynnis paphia
White Admiral, Limenitis camilla
Small White egg, Pieris rapae
Small White egg, Pieris rapae

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.