Wednesday 8 April 2015

Brimstones, Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells

Brimstones, Gonepteryx rhamni
On Monday I did my first butterfly transect of the year at Mill Hill. The weather forecast was for the hottest day of the week up to Tuesday, and this was confirmed with an average 18 DegC. Brimstones were seen throughout the walk and included a male chasing a female several times. Two and three Peacocks gave aerial combat displays and Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks nectared on Wood Violets.

I then visited the colony of Wall Lizards by the Shingle Beach west of the River Adur. Finally I called in at Widewater where a Little Egret, Redshank and Meadow Pipit gave me some photo opportunities.
 Mill Hill:










Shoreham Shingle beach:










Tulip
Widewater:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.