Tuesday 31 March 2015

Herring Gulls and Scarlett Elf Cups

Herring Gull, Larus argentatus
On Saturday I visited the beach in a howling gale to look for some more shingle plants. The following day we both walked to the corner of Sea Road where Crows were feeding. Several generations of Herring Gulls were on the beach, plus Turnstones sheltering at the top of the shingle.
Today I walked in Houghton Forest and a Brimstone fluttered down to nectar on Lesser Celandine as soon as I arrived. It didn’t stay for a photo and appeared again before I set off on my walk. Afterwards I walked round the Angmering Road woods at Dover Lane. I was pleased to find my patch of Scarlett Elf Cups in good condition where I found them last year.
shingle flora and fauna:
Dandelion, Taraxacum officinale
Goose Grass, Galium aparine
Ribwort Plantain, Plantago lanceolata
Sea Mayweed, Tripleurospermum maritimum
Carrion Crow, Corvus corone

3rd winter Herring Gull, Larus argentatus
juvenile Herring Gull
Herring Gull


Turnstone, Arenaria interpres
Houghton Forest:
Coltsfoot, Tussilago farfara
Lesser Celandine, Ranunculus ficaria
Lesser Celandine
Angmering Estate Woods:
Primrose, Primula vulgaris
Scarlet Elf Cups, Sarcoscypha coccinea


Wood Anemone, Anemone nemorosa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.