Friday 2 September 2011

Silver Y at Mill Hill

Silver Y moth, Autographa gamma
Silver Y moth Autographa gamma
This afternoon I did my Mill Hill butterfly transect. It was an unusually misty day with a clear sky. There were plenty of butterflies, although the Adonis Blues were very worn. I didn’t see any adders or lizards, though I looked hard. My count was 35 Adonis Blue, 2 Brimstone, 3 Brown Argus, 5 Chalkhill Blue, 5 Gatekeeper, 91 Meadow Brown, 2 Red Admiral, 1 Small Copper, 29 Small Heath, 1 Small White, plus this Silver Y moth, named after the silver Y shape on the wings.
There was a yacht race Wednesday evening

Adonis Blue
Meadow Brown
worn Adonis Blue
misty day at Mill Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.