Thursday 16 October 2014

Ring Ouzel, Clouded Yellow and Fox Moth larvae

Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus
On Tuesday I visited Arundel WWT and saw the kingfisher several times. On Wednesday morning I joined Murray Downland Trust members at Heyshott for a conservation work party. Afterwards I visited Cissbury Ring but failed to find the Ring Ouzel site. This morning I returned to Cissbury Ring on a sunny morning where I met Dick at the female yew tree where Ring Ouzels have been feeding on the berries recently. We saw birds of the right size coming and going. Whenl I checked my photos later I realized I had photos of a female Ring Ouzel. 
  A pair of Kestrels hunted over the site and a flock of Stonechats flitted around. I was pleased to see a helice form of the female Clouded Yellow. It was flying from the rifle range so I believe it had just flown in from the sea. I counted 34 Fox Moth larvae of various sizes along a path, one of which was eating a bramble leaf.
Arundel WWT:
Gadwall, Anas strepera
female Gadwall, Anas strepera
Little Grebe, Tachybaptus ruficollis
Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos
Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos
Mute Swan, Cygnus olor
Niger, Guizotia abyssinica
This plant was outside the Sand Martin hide. Niger is an Ethiopian plant often found in bird seed.
Swan Goose, Anser cygnoides
Cissbury Ring:


Heyshott work party
Littlehampton sunrise

Cissbury Ring:
Clouded Yellow, Colias croceus f. helice
Devil's Coach Horse, Ocypus olens
female Yew with berries, Taxus baccata
 female Ring Ouzel, Turdus torquatus 
Fox Moth larva, Macrothylacia rubi
Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus
Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus
male Stonechat, Saxicola torquata
Yellowhammer, Emberiza citrinella

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.