Monday 31 March 2014

Lizards, firecrest and hoopoe

Ladybird, 7-spot, Coccinella 7-punctata
On Sunday I visited Rewell Wood where I found lizards basking on a rotting log and a 7-spot Ladybird. When the sun heated things up briefly I found Peacock and Comma butterflies on a path. I then visited Angmering Woods and found a Firecrest and a Peacock.
Today I visited the Hoopoe at Climping beach twice. It was in the same area in the morning and afternoon with a farm hedgerow, fencing and furniture obscuring the view much of the time. It was too far away for a decent shot. I met Terry there and then Alistair and was able to show him the Hoopoe.
Later I checked the beach along Sea Road, and found that much of the shingle had been removed and deposited on the sand below. I doubt the Ringed Plovers will attempt to nest there this year as their preferred flat area by a ridge is no longer present. Last year three nests had eggs, but none resulted in chicks and I assumed foxes or crows took the eggs.
Rewell Wood:
Comma, Polygonia c-album
Common Lizard, Zootoca vivipara
Angmering Woods:
Firecrest, Regulus ignicapillus
the usual view
Firecrest, Regulus ignicapillus

Peacock, Inachis io
Monday at Climping beach:
Hoopoe, Upupa epops


uncropped view

Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.