Tuesday 18 March 2014

Firecrests sing and a Small White appears

Firecrest, Regulus ignicapillus
Yesterday was a cool day so I wasn’t hopeful about butterflies at Angmering Woods. There were no Brimstones flying, unusual as they have been prolific in recent days. I saw one Peacock and one Comma. Then I got very excited about a distant white butterfly and rushed along the path to identify my first Small White of the year, a female. 
I heard a Firecrest which flew around in the tree tops but did not come near. Later I heard another which came close enough for photos with another one calling nearby.
I have volunteered to do some video work at Arundel WWT so was invited to attend a talk by WWT CEO Martin Spray to staff and volunteers at Arundel. I left feeling that WWT is in good hands. In the evening I attended a talk by Dave Fairlamb, WWT Arundel centre manager. This was a fascinating presentation by a man who has a passion for wildlife and a wealth of experience with wetland conservation work with the National Trust, RSPB and WWT. As a Newcastle man he had photos of Northumberland coastal areas and the sight of Dunstanburgh Castle brought back happy memories. Sue and I have walked along that shore from Newton by the Sea with friends who live nearby. We have also enjoyed the hospitality of the Ship Inn at Lower Newton, which used to serve ice cold Exhibition Ale, one of the best in its day.
Comma, Polygonia c-album
female Small White, Pieris rapae
Small White on Wood Anemone
Firecrest, Regulus ignicapillus








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.