Tuesday 12 March 2013

A Red Poll in the snow

Lesser Redpoll, Carduelis cabaret
Last night we had a thick layer of snow and I looked out of the window before going to bed in case a fox was around. Amazingly I spotted one trotting across the green through the snow flakes which were still falling. This morning the snowfall had finished so I set off to Arundel hoping for a sighting of Ratty. Nothing spotted but the WWT provided me with a great sighting of a Kingfisher on the opposite side of the lake from the Sand Martin hide. Then I spotted my first ever Lesser Redpoll which was feeding on a seed head. I used my new 300mm lens and added the 1.4 converter later.

Mill Road:




Arundel WWT:
male Black-necked Swan, Cygnus melancoryphus


Canada Goose, Branta canadensis
Canada Goose, Branta canadensis
Coot, Fulica atra
Lesser Redpoll, Carduelis cabaret





Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos
Mallard skating on thin ice

Moorhen, Gallinula chloropus

Shelduck, Tadorna tadorna
Shelducks in front of Sand Martin hide

 adding the 1.4 converter:
Mallards, Anas platyrhynchos - 15 metres
Emperor Goose, Chen Canagicus - long distance
Common Pochard, Aythya Ferina - 4 metres
Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos - 4.5 metres
4 metres
female Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos - 3.6 metres
Mill Road:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.