Monday 5 December 2011

Two days in a Wild Place

On Saturday and Sunday I put on my peaked cap at 7am and chauffeured Sue, Jean and Maggie to their convention near Godstone. This left me free to visit London, hence the blog's title. A theory for the origin of the Roman name Londinium is that it derived from the Celtic word 'lond' meaning wild.
Keira Knightley portrait
On Saturday I travelled from Godstone station to Victoria via Redhill, £8.20 off peak return! No. 24 bus to Trafalgar Square brought me to the National Portrait Gallery where I enjoyed the exhibition of the  Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2011Afterwards I wandered round various other exhibitions such as Comedians 1930 to Now (photographs) and Contemporary Actresses (various media). The exhibition ends on Feb 12.


After the gallery tour I headed for St James park to consume my sandwiches. 


Buck House


I also wandered down to Westminster Bridge.



Oliver Cromwell
Parliament Square
amazing


London Eye

On the way back at Redhill Station I was amazed to see a steam engine pulling a line of Pullman coaches. After searching the internet I learned that this is a weekly circular tour on the Surrey Hills loop, from London Victoria via Staines, Woking, Guildford, Redhill. It was filmed on the same day and put on YouTube - click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please select 'Name/URL' from 'Comment as' drop down box and add your name, thanks.